Thursday, January 21, 2010

God is here

I should be asleep. I went to bed but find myself unable to sleep because my mind is too busy. So, I thought I would put good use to my busy mind and write a post. Perhaps if the thoughts go down on paper (or the internet) I can get some sleep!

I am laying in bed wandering, with a heavy heart, why am I so fortunate while others are suffering so much? Why am I laying in my bed with a stable building under me and a roof over me head while people in Haiti lay trapped under collapsed buildings or tents? Why am I able to eat whenever and whatever I choose while some people, even children, are hungry? Why should I be here in New Orleans enjoying life so much while a friend from high school is saying goodbye to her baby girl? Where is God in all of this mess???


I know He is with me. I feel His presence and am comforted by it. He is in Haiti. He is wrapping His arms around those trapped in rubble--He is holding them tight. He is crying alongside the survivors--sharing their pain and suffering. He is smiling and welcoming those who have come home to Him.


God is certainly with that baby girl as she fights for her life. He brings her peace and comfort. He brings her so much love that all those around her can see His light shining through her. He is holding the hand of this girl's mother. Who better to hold hands with than a man who has seen His own child suffer so greatly? He is probably in awe of the internet prayer chain that has reached an untold amount of people since the time of diagnosis!

God is with those who are hungry, poor, and homeless--and those that aren't. God is everywhere! How else could we make it through the day, through the hard times, through the tragedies? How else could we ever get a good nights sleep?

1 comment:

  1. Its hard to put it all together sometimes, isn't. The psychologists call it "survivor's guilt," that uneasy feeling that we are thriving in the aftermath of somebody else's disaster. It may be more like a deep sense of justice/injustice... that there is something fundamentally unfair about the distribution of the world's goods. God is with us, to be sure. But the nagging sadness about other people's pain should probably lead us to some kind of action.

    ReplyDelete