Sunday, January 3, 2010

prayer

There are types of prayer that come easily to me--prayers of adoration, love, and thanks. I find the prayer of confession to be especially powerful and something I have really developed and appreciated over the past few months. When it comes to prayers of petition or intercession I begin to struggle...


There are two things that have weighed heavily on my mind for a few weeks. Deep down I feel like all I really need to do is pray--to give it up to God. But when I try the words do not come. I try to open a conversation with God but my mind immediately takes over. If I were to truly give it to God I would be losing control. Not only would I lose control but I would open myself up to God's will which may not be in line with my will.


It has taken a lot of discussion and many sleepless nights to get to a point where I can admit my struggle with prayer and to understand why it exists. I am glad to be at this point because it is only when we acknowledge our struggles and understand them that we can overcome them and grow.

You may wonder why I would share this--I certainly do! It is hard to share, but I do anyway because I value Christian community. I share because someone might read this and relate to it. It might make Christianity more real and accessible to someone. Many might read this and share advice--maybe they have been in this place before. I share because in times that I can not pray for myself I know others will and are praying for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment