Monday, March 22, 2010

One down, three to go

Week one of the 100 mile diet is complete! I can't say it has been easy and I can't say that I have done a great job of sticking to it. Just ask the boys that I live with--they have been watching me like a hawk! Overall I did well but sometimes I just needed a snack and I certainly am not about to turn down free food--even if it isn't local! So yes, I cheated. But being strict about the diet or depriving myself of food that I have a craving for is not what this is about. It is about being intentional about the food I buy and consume. It is about being aware of where my food comes from and how it tastes. It is about connecting with the local community and land.

The worst part of the diet is the cost. It is sad for two reasons. The first is that I ripped a hole in my favorite jeans and I can't afford to replace them this month because I am buying fresh fish. The second (and more important) reason is that fresh, sustainable, high quality food should not be a luxury. We need a food system that provides fresh, sustainable, high quality food to everyone--rich or poor.

In other news...

Today is World Water Day. An article in the Huffington Post states that "Nearly a billion people -- one-sixth of the world's population -- have no access to safe drinking water, 2.6 billion people lack adequate sanitation, and more than 3 million people die from water-related diseases each year. Forty-six percent of people on Earth do not have water piped to their homes, and much of the burden of collecting water falls to women -- women in developing countries walk an average of 3.7 miles to get water."

A billion people with no access to safe drinking water!?! I know I use more than my share of water and I admit that I am guilty of having bought a plastic bottle of water. Something else I suppose I should add to my list of things to be aware of and intentional about...ugh. A new article and video by Annie Leonard explores the ridiculous industry of bottled water. It is here if you are interested:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/annie-leonard/the-story-of-bottled-wate_b_507942.html

No comments:

Post a Comment