Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Story of Bottled Water

I few months ago I came across a Local Food Sunday School Curriculum published by a website called The Thoughtful Christian.

At the time I was struggling to make any commitment to changing my lifestyle because it felt overwhelming and in some ways hypocritical. The beginning of the curriculum addressed this issue and was very meaningful to me so I thought I would share.

"The complexity of these issues often feels overwhelming, and sometimes we are tempted to throw up our hands in despair and defeat. The problems are so big, so many so multifaceted. What is one person or one family to do in the face of such a massive and often opaque system?

Thanks be to God, there are many practical things we can do to attend to the sources of our food...it is important to acknowledge the sense of being overwhelmed. For the truth is we are enmeshed within the current system of food production, and we will almost inevitably be complicit in that system, no matter how much we want not to be. As Christians, then, it seems to me our first response, before we do anything, should be one of repentance, an acknowledgement that we have erred, that we will continue to err, and that we desperately need God's mercy. Only after confessing out complicity in the destructive systems by which we procure our food and receiving the assurance of pardon God offers us can we take action that flows not from debilitating guilt but from liberating grace."

I am not sure why the website I posted yesterday isn't linking. Here is the video:

The Story of Bottled Water

Posted using ShareThis

No comments:

Post a Comment