Wednesday, September 9, 2009

First Few Days of Work




I have been in New Orleans for a little over a week now. Last week was orientation to the city. It was a lot of fun and included many free meals. Our site coordinator, Kathy, informed us that most of life in New Orleans is centered around food. The few days of orientation was followed by a four day weekend in which we were able to clean, settle in, sleep, and explore the city. There is so much to see and do around here! So far my YAV experience has been a really nice vacation--orientation at a retreat center in New York, lots of delicious food, plenty of opportunity to rest and reflect. =)


Yesterday the vacation ended and I started work. I am working at a church called Metairie Ridge Presbyterian Church. The church has been through some turmoil due to several things including, of course, Katrina. The church is now on the rebound and there is definitely an energy running through the congregation. I am excited to be a part of the rebuilding process in this community. Primarily I am responsible for the children and youth ministries. Goals for the year include starting a confirmation class, having lots of youth activities, and getting the youth more involved in the church community.


On my first day of work I spent the morning adding all the church youth as facebook friends and spent the afternoon looking at other church websites to get an idea of what sort of youth fellowship is happening in the community. It is now day 2 and I have no idea what I should be doing! This is no doubt going to be a year of flexibility and self-directed work. I pray that I can figure things out sooner rather than later and God will use my gifts and talents in effective ways here at Metairie Ridge. I do find comfort in knowing there are 66 other YAVS, all around the world, feeling the exact same way!


Where can I go from your spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go to the heavens you are there
If I make my bed in the depths you are there;
If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
If I settle on the far side of the sea,
even there your hand will guide me,
Your right hand will hold me fast.
-Psalm 139 vs. 7-10










No comments:

Post a Comment