Monday, September 21, 2009

Shrimp: From boat to moat.

Every week the YAVS in New Orleans have a family dinner. The girls and boys alternate cooking and cleaning duties. Last week the boys cooked catfish tacos. It was delicious but we had a huge mess to clean up and our house smelled like fried catfish for a few days. Not wanting to be out done, the girls went out on a shrimp boat (actually, Gloria was the only one that went) and brought back fresh shrimp to cook for our Sunday dinner. It was equally as messy as the fried fish. Here is a photo journey through our shrimp adventure.

Notice that I am not in this picture. I went to a movie instead of help clean shrimp...but I did come home halfway through the process, threw on my grubby cloths (the LSU shirt!) and safety goggles and tried to help. It was gross. I think my effort was appreciated but I probably cleaned about one shrimp in the time it took everyone else to do three.

We were all a little grouchy and hungry. There is nothing like cleaning shrimp to divide a household =).

Lisa, like myself, does not clean shrimp. We let her off the hook because she prepared the rest of the meal (and because she is a vegetarian).



We made some delicious shrimp and grits!


The whole process was very exhausting. Shortly after this picture was taken we were all asleep on the living room couches/chairs/floor.

While some people like to save left overs for lunch or dinner the next day, we like to make castles out of ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment